July 15, 1949 - December 17, 2009

July 15, 1949 - December 17, 2009
Arabella Meadows-Rogers, January, 2008

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Wilderness of Suffering

I wish I could report that I'm just ducky, but I'd be lying if I tried to say anything like that. I feel like I'm living in a silent, featureless, and empty wilderness, no matter how many people are walking around or even talking to me, no matter whether I'm in a concert hall, an art gallery, or a subway tunnel. When I am in fact alone, in the apartment, I often cry out in tearful anguish; I'm not sure why or to whom. I don't cry out to God with complaints or rail and rage against the "unfairness" of it all. I just want, at a deeper level of desire than I think I've ever plumbed, to have my life back and to have my wife back, which feel like pretty much the same thing right now, I'm afraid. Oftentimes, I call out for Arabella. This is all pure selfishness, I suppose, but, at this juncture, moral evaluation seems quite beside the point. Others might say that my problem stems from the fact that Arabella and I were too joined at the hip for too long and that I'm paying now for that folie à deux. I've read and heard just this kind of terminology from time to time. To that I'd reply that I would never trade the fierceness of Arabella's and my intimacy for an easier time in dealing with her death... not for a moment. What a stupid notion, which only one deprived of love and loving could ever entertain.

So for now, I go about my business; I teach; I do errands; I keep plodding through financial and domestic papers; I make telephone calls; I go to a few meetings; I attend Mass. I keep thinking that, if I continue to go about my business, at some point things will begin to change, and the wilderness will begin to be re-populated and full of sounds, and colors, and textures once more. However, I'm still waiting for that to happen. In the meantime, it's, well, just the mean-time, with all the possible connotations of that term.

Maybe I don't fully accept the final fact of Arabella's death yet. I don't think that's true, but maybe it is. From one point of view, I know that I have a strong awareness of her as a living presence in my heart and mind and soul. I even rejoice in that as much as ever. However, that doesn't really make me feel better about the present truth of my life, because that presence of which I'm so strongly aware cannot culminate in touch or conversation or laughter or plans for the future. Yes, an awareness of her presence does confirm my faith that death does not have the final word. I feel quite as convinced as ever, really, that God is love and that love, human and divine, never ends. However, that faith does not seem to mitigate the sense of loss and absence.

I suppose that one must simply suffer suffering... otherwise it would not be suffering, but something else, something more easily assimilated, articulated, and borne. I suppose that what makes suffering suffering lies in the fact that there is no mitigation. In that way, the suffering of grief is like pancreatic cancer, and the task, as Arabella taught me, is to walk through it, with my eyes focused on what is possible, not on what is impossible. I will try... but it still hurts so very much. In A Grief Observed, C. S. Lewis remarked about his wife's death, "Her absence was like the sky, spread over everything." That about says it all for me too.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

Thank you so much, Rob, for continuing to share your journey with grief. I'm overwhelmed that you include hope, I'm not sure that I would be able to. And I'm over- whelmed by what you're going through. My own grief pales by comparison. I'm often weepy, and often tired, and don't have energy to do things I once would have. I find great consolation in Christian songs. And I feel this urge to be kind to children.

Anonymous said...

Always keep in mind dear father that you were the man she loved so deeply, not just by choice or divine intervention, but by will and desire, hers of which few people can deny.

Joined at the hip? perhaps. But what a grand and joyful thing to be joined to.

Love doesn't end which is why death can be, for people like us, very painful and the suffering is always ongoing in some form or another. Ashes can crumble against time and between fingers. Love cannot. Real love (which by the way is rare among humankind despite their protests to the contrary) lasts forever.

Before Arabella's death my witness to real love in that regard was mother herself and her father in the manner in which they'd speak of Sarah Louisa and Jay. Now you, Sara and I can bear witness as well. I am sad and grateful.

Perhaps it's somehow maladjusted of me but I honestly think we are lucky in that we can understand loves relation to loss and absence far better then the average westerner. I would have loved another decade with Mother, but she would, were she here, tearfully brush it off to me and advice me that life isn't always perfect and I should get up and do something useful so that I didn't wallow in the dregs of all of that second guessing. She was perfect like that.

Of course if I'd ever said that to her while she were "alive" she'd shrug it off and swat me away I think.

I'll leave you dear father with a few perfect lines by Nick Cave from his song Green Eyes:

If it were but a matter of faith
If it were measured in petitions and prayer
She would materialize, all fleshed out
But it is not, nor do I care



-Your Son

Sharon Johnson said...

Hi Rob,

It was wonderful to talk to you today!

This is a test to see if I am able to leave a comment on your blog.

God bless you, Sharon Johnson